Simpler election procedure for FPCs20 December 2017
The election procedure for the FPCs was too complex. So we have modified it: it is now simpler, more transparent and faster.
The new election procedure involves the FPCs considering candidates for themselves on the basis of their profile. Next the relevant FPC submits a request to appoint the person to the Cooperative Affairs Council. Once a year this Council checks the requests and the candidates are appointed. Any members eligible for re-election are reappointed immediately. A FPC consists of five to nine members.
What is changing?
- No more voting with a voting system
- The FPCs select the candidates themselves based on a standard FPC-profile and any conditions associated with the vacancy
- The FPC determines its preferences and submits them for approval to the Cooperative Affairs Council
- Members who are eligible for re-election are evaluated by the FPC and reappointed by the FPC, if the outcome is positive
- The appointment procedure is conducted once a year from the beginning of October to mid-December
- Collective communication (and to members) throughout the procedure runs via the Community
All members of Royal FloraHolland are eligible to apply to join the FPCs. In practice, it seems that the FPCs often have to search for candidates. But it remains true that every member can nominate himself or herself, as candidate René van Dop, chair of FPC Kalanchoe, explained. "It is important to have a good representation of the growers in the FPCs. We can judge pretty well who would best suit us and what added value they bring. This election procedure is thus great."
Marcel van Tol, chair of FPC Summer Annuals, contributed his opinion. "Choosing a new FPC-member via a digital, democratic vote among all members of the FPC was a nice starting point. In practice, however, the number of people voting was low. The new election procedure seems a good alternative to me: simple and efficient!"
Subscribe to our newsletter and receive each week:
- current and relevant news
- based on your own profile
Do not display againSubscribe